Since last year we’ve been meaning to go to Sydney’s water park: Wet n Wild. It opened about 18 months ago, and we avoided it at first because of the massive queues. This year towards the end of summer they started doing a good discount to keep the customers coming in before they shut for winter, so we decided for $50 instead of $80 each it was worth a trip. You can check out the website, here.

We got there for 9.30 when the doors allegedly opened, before all the rides fired up at 10. They didn’t actually open the doors until about 9.50, but that gave us time to get our writs bands sorted and pay for the big locker ($12) and parking. It was an extra $8 for the car which is a bit cheeky seeing as there isn’t any other reason you’d go to that car park.

After a quick change we checked out the park map and decided fairly arbitrarily to go to the right, as there were more rides that way. For the first hour it stayed really quiet and we were able to get off a ride and go pretty much straight back on again, ticking off 8 or 9 rides in the first hour (with one twice).

The park is organised into four main towers. One has the three most gentle rides, which you go in on four person rings, although you can go just with two of you and two spare places. We ticked all these off first. Generally someone ended up going backwards on these rides, which added to the amusement!

After that, things get a bit more interesting with the two person rides. There were 5 of these on one tower. You have rings for two with one person in front and one behind, both facing forwards. To start with Matt was at the front. Then after a few goes I got told to sit in front because the lightest person always goes in front to avoid getting flipped! Shame I didn’t know that earlier! This tower had a ride in the dark, and more twists, turns and drops than the others. The one called Half Pipe shot you down a bit drop and then really high up an almost vertical wall on the other wide which was pretty fun. Also on the tower was a set of 4 tubes called The Breakers where you drop down first and then get shot up by some quite strong jets of water before doing a lot more drops. That was also pretty fun and we did it twice straight away when we realised one set was steeper than the other!

Half Pipe

Half Pipe

From there we headed over the other side to the third tower which had the most extreme rides on it. They’re faster with bigger drops. Unfortunately the one called Bombora, which looked like the most extreme one there and a bigger version of Half Pipe was shut – boo. This tower had the biggest queues, so if we go back we’ll know to go here first while its quietest! First we went on T5 which had the shorter queue (about 20 mins), and turned out to be my favourite ride in the park. As well as getting flung around a lot you spend quite a while in a giant funnel going up and down the walls on each side which had me giggling and screaming like a maniac! After that we spent about half an hour waiting to go on Tantrum, the most popular open ride. It was good, similar to T5, but I didn’t think it was worth the extra wait.

For $20 you can buy a queue jump pass which you can use once on each tower, so maximum 4 rides in total. We did see some people with these, but didn’t bother ourselves. Standing in the queues and wandering around people and tattoo watching was pretty entertaining in itself.

The final tower had the individual rides on it. The 360 Rush was shut, which I was secretly quite glad about! You stand up in it and get dropped down the chute and then go around a 360 degree bend. There was a warning sign about what to do if you didn’t make it all the way around which didn’t fill me with confidence! The H2Go Racers was open, where 8 people go at once racing down the tubes face first on mats – like sledging on water. Matt and I both allegedly fouled, but it was saying that all day for all of the 4 chutes on the left. Not surprisingly, he beat me!

The big rides!

The big rides!

After ticking off all the main rides we went and had our picnic lunch. The food in the park was mainly fast food, so I was glad we took our own. There was some nice fake grass to sit on and beach loungers too if you wanted to sunbathe. From there we went for a couple of laps around the lazy river while we  digested, and debated what rides to go on for a second time! We went in the big beach pool while the wave machine was on, and had another go on some of our favourites including T5 and Half Pipe.

When you go in you get a wristband with a smart tag in it, that you tap on the rides when its your turn. It collects up all the photos of you which you can buy at the end. They have photographers around the park too. We didn’t buy any pictured, but I thought the system was a good idea. There are also a couple of other attractions at the park that you have to pay for – a surf wave and a face down flying bungee. The bungee looked pretty fun, although we didn’t want to pay for it!

All in we were at the park for about 5.5 hours, and managed not to get at all sunburnt – woo! One surprising thing was that there weren’t any water fountains around the park. Normally Australia is pretty good for those, but here they just seemed to want to sell you frozen coke! Overall it was a good fun day and well worth it for the discounted price, but I don’t think I’d have paid the full price (as usual)!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *